There are many natural dog itching remedies that provide immediate relief for your dog’s itchy skin until you find his problem (nutrition, allergies, fleas, mange, anxiety).
All natural products are just safer for your pet, your family and the environment. There are several types of remedies, from salves to bathes, to help with your dog’s constant scratching.
What To Look For In Natural Itching Remedies
Below are some of the more common natural extracts and oils used in natural remedies AS TOPICALS to stop dog itching, help with dog skin allergies, condition the skin, and keep the skin from getting infected.
- Calendula: anti-bacterial agent that also has a quick, soothing itchy dog skin relief to irritated skin.
- Peppermint: acts as an antiseptic agent; also soothes itchy skin and acts as a natural insect repellent. Only use oils that are designated for canines (typically a lower concentration).
- Colloidal Oatmeal: has anti-inflammatory and anti-itch properties that helps reduce the “need to scratch” dog itchy skin.
- Flowers of Sulfur: mild anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent that also helps relieve itching. Mix with oil (like vegetable oil) and rub gently into coat.
- Aloe Vera: brings immediate cooling relief to fleabites and helps reduce itching and dog dry skin. Aloe contains minerals, proteins and enzymes that help soften the coat and soothe the skin.
- Marshmallow: has been used since ancient times and is used as an anti-inflammatory to soothe and heal surface irritations to the skin.
- Neem: the Neem tree is known as the ‘Heal All’ tree in India; neem acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti bacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-fungal, anti-protozoal and anti-viral. Only use oils that are designated for canines (typically a lower concentration).
- Grapefruit Seed Extract: helps alleviate skin conditions such as irritation, flea bites and mange; also helps to control bacterial infections and parasites. Only use extracts that are designated for canines (typically a lower concentration).
- Tea Tree Leaf Oil: a powerful anti-septic and anti-fungal agent which does not irritate the skin, it relieves pain and disinfects; also soothes insect bites. Only use oils that are designated for canines (typically a lower concentration).
When looking for all-natural dog itching remedies, you definitely want to see many of these compounds in the ingredient list for the maximum itch relief for your dog. The most popular contain one or more of the following: Calendula, Tea Tree Oil, Neem, and Aloe Vera.
Topical Dog Itching Remedies
To provide immediate relief for your dog’s itching, try using a topical, such as an oil, lotion, or spray. These types of itching treatments should be a definite weapon in your arsenal for dog allergy remedies.
Topical remedies are applied to exactly where your baby is scratching and usually start working within minutes to help with most dog skin problems. Most contain moisturizers as well to help condition the skin.
You can either purchase or make your own home remedies for itchy dogs, it is more a matter of convenience and comfort level. See above for detailed information on different types of ingredients you should look for in dog itchy skin remedies.